Stubs was the most decorated war dog of all times. He was a little pit bull who served in the 102nd infantry yankee division during WW1. He lived in the trenches for 18 months with his division, where he boosted the troops morale. He took part in 17 battles, one where he was wounded by a German hand grenade in the leg. He fully recovered, to return to the trenches to be gassed. From there on out, he could warn his comrades about a gas attack. He also would venture to No Man's Land to find his fallen soldiers.
When Stubby returned to the US, he lead War Parades all over the country. He met Presidents Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Warren G. Harding, then became the Mascot for Georgetown University. Stubby was made an honorary member of the American Leigon, Red Cross, and YMCA. Stubby's awards include:
- 3 Service Stripes
- Yankee Division YD Patch
- French Medal Battle of Verdun
- 1st Annual American Legion Convention Medal
- New Haven World War I Veterans Medal
- Republic of France Grande War Medal
- St Mihiel Campaign Medal
- Wound stripe, replaced with Purple Heart when introduced in 1932
- Chateau Thierry Campaign Medal
- 6th Annual American Legion Convention
- Humane Education Society Gold Medal
Stubby is one of the coolest stray Pit Bulls EVER!!! Check out some pictures of the Stub Man!!
Check out these websites for more info!!