Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dear Polo,

Dear Polo,

I remember the first day I saw you. You were tied in a backyard starved for attention. I came up to you, you jumped in my lap and gave me a kiss. I fell in love with you. I remember coming back to where you lived, just to see you still tied in the yard. I brought you treats and petted you, I stayed with you for as long as I could. I remeber thinking how sweet you were. A month went by, and I continued to come and see you, until I got the news that your owner was going to prison and you were as well. I came in the yard, untied you, and put you in the car. I brought you to my small apartment and gave you treats. I was young and poor and had no idea what I was getting myself into. My family told me to get rid of you, but I couldnt. I took you to the vet and found out you had severe worms, thats why you were so skinny I could see your ribs. I made you better. We became inseperable. We went everywhere together, the beach, the parks, to restaurants, to friends houses. I loved you.

The landlord knocked on my door one day and told me that we had to go. You were not allowed. So we left. I looked for apartments but they kept saying no. NO PIT BULLS. I didnt give up. I finally found a place for us far away, but I didnt care. I refused to give you up. We were so happy, we went through CGC training, we learned to walk politely on the leash, you kept me company when I did my work, you slept by my side every night, you rolled around on my things, you ate my shoes, my bedding, clothes, pillows, trash, and even my fireworks. You would just look at me and smile and I couldnt stay mad. People started to complain about you. They didnt like the way you looked. I started looking for a new place. I had no idea how easy it was to love you, but so hard to keep you by my side. I didnt give up. We moved again. I began to research your breed, and learned where you came from, what you were capeable of, love. I wanted to help. I wanted to help your fellow pit bulls in their fight for equality in this unjust world. I began to work with a local rescue that took in Pits that were being euthanized for being overpopulated, mistreated, and misunderstood. I was shocked to see just how many pits there are being put down everyday, pits just like you, that didnt find a home, like you did.

I decided right then and there, something had to be done. I helped any way that I could to save dogs like you. I learned about the hate, about the stereotypes, the abuse that dogs like you endure everyday. It makes me sad that people cant see what I see. A companion. A friend to keep them company, sleep with them on cold nights, comfort them when they are feeling down, and just make them smile.

Polo, I had to move 3,000 miles away from home, but that couldnt seperate us. I brought you here to Portland. We showed up with a crate and a suitcase. We made it work. On days when I was feeling sad and homesick, you curled up next to me, and gave me comfort. For that, I will always love you. I promise to keep fighting for you. People want to ban you, and dogs like you, but as long as I am breathing, I will not let it happen. I take you around the town to show off how well behaved you are, yet people still change sides of the street. We have a lot of work to do.

As I write this, you are here, curled up by my side, sleeping. I look at you and smile, you are my best friend, the love of my life. You came into my life so quickly, and changed everything. I was a care-free kid, and now Im a woman with a mission. I promise to fight for you. I promise to do everything in my power to make sure that you are safe, and that you stay with me until the day you leave this earth. I love you with all of my heart. Thank you for being a wonderful companion. Thank you for opening my eyes to this evil world. Thank you for giving me purpose.

Your best friend,




Katie

3 comments:

  1. OMG Katie! If I were not at work, I would be crying my eyes out! I LOVE your post. I LOVE that you love Polo like you do. Polo is such a lucky dog. You are a Saint, sent here from God, and your mission is clear. I too, am a Pittie lover. My girl's name is M. She is 3yrs old (oops, I mean, YOUNG)! She is the love of my life, my best friend, my companion, etc and so on. I am awed by her EVERY SINGLE DAY. She makes me laugh and she makes me cry. I lost my home and moved to Southern Utah. Not long after I arrived, she escaped with my landlord's dog, chasing some deer. If you have any idea what So. Utah is like, it is VAST. Lots and lots of red rock, canyons, mountains and the like. It is overwhelming to look at. She disappeared for 18 of the longest hours EVER. When she reappeared, I felt as though I had hit the lottery. Of everything I had lost, I could not fathom the idea of losing her also. It was then that I realized that NOTHING else mattered, not the house, not the lost job, none of my possessions, as they are all replaceable. My dog is NOT. I know she will likely leave this place LONG B4 I am ready to let her go, but not this way. I can't imagine not knowing if she was hurt and stuck somewhere, cold and/or hungry...it would drive me to the brink. I will read your post again when I get home, just so I can let it sink in. I revel in the love for canines. They are so full of love and unconditional. Even when they are neglected, they remain resilient. Love (& treats) are all they want. ;0) God bless you & Polo, Katie! You are an inspiration!
    Hugs,
    shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you shelly!!

    Im not really a writer or much of a blogger, but I am very passionate about these dogs, thank you for commenting, it makes me really happy that people are actually reading it, and share my feelings :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your letter :) I feel the same way about my sweet girl. We got her from the Mult. Co. shelter at 8 years old.

    I also can't believe the comments I've had about her, even my own Mom said that if she sees a pit bull walking down the street (with a person mind you) that she crosses the street. We were walking down Hawthorne a few weeks ago and someone threw something at her from a car! It's just unreal how ignorant people are.

    ReplyDelete